- to cook
Complexity - Easy
1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbs tomato paste
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp baharat (Middle Eastern spice mix)
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper or chilli flakes
1 1/2 tbs currants
2 tsp red wine vinegar
500g zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways
2 x 300g T-bone steaks, at room temperature
1 small garlic clove
1/3 cup dill sprigs, plus extra to serve
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Hummus, to serve
1. For the onions, heat 1/4 cup (60ml) oil in large non-stick frypan over medium-low heat.
Add onion, garlic and a pinch of salt flakes and cook, stirring occasionally,
for 20 minutes until very soft and light golden.
2. Add tomato paste, paprika, baharat, sugar, pepper, currants and red wine vinegar.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes until caramelised. Place zucchini in a bowl
and drizzle with 2 tsp oil. Preheat a chargrill or barbecue over high heat.
Cook zucchini for 1-2 minutes each side until softened and charred.
Transfer to a serving dish.
3. Season steaks on both sides and drizzle with 1 tbs oil.
Add to chargrill or barbecue and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium-rare,
or until cooked to your liking. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
4. While the steak is resting, use a mortar and pestle to grind garlic and a pinch of salt flakes
to a paste. Add dill and roughly grind, then stir in lemon juice and remaining 35ml oil.
Spoon dill mixture over the zucchini to coat well.
Thickly slice steaks and spoon over caramelised onion.
Scatter with extra dill sprigs.
5. Serve immediately with garlicky dill zucchini and hummus alongside.
Impress your guests with this perfect hearty meal! This article was originally published on delicious.com.au and reposted with permission. Recipe by Phoebe Wood, photography by Brett Stevens and styling by Kirsten Jenkins.